Lunes, Hulyo 17, 2017

MY IDEAL EMPLOYEES

I had been in the business world for over thirty (30) years. I’ve worked with different types of people with distinct characters and I’ve associated with them throughout my years. The only setback was working with people who were not ardent enough with their assigned jobs and keeps on chasing their tails. Even though they’ve got a whole bag of tricks while they explore all avenues for success, they still cut the ground from under my feet by not delivering the goods.

That’s why this time around before I’ll venture into opening up a new business in New York, I have got to have some lists for my ideal employees. First, I have to go over their backgrounds and work experiences with a fine-tooth comb. I don’t need to fast track things because I mean business here. If I don’t do some background check on my future employees, I might lose all my capital.

Second, I need employees who know how to get their ducks in a row and keep their fingers on the pulse to further my business. I don’t need them to know all the tricks of the trade. All I want from them is to work hard with all honesty and perseverance. They also don’t have to think on their feet when dealing with difficult situations; another set of the team will handle those issues.

And last, I want them to sail through this business not as an individual but as a whole. I want teamwork here especially when it comes to doing some arduous tasks. I don’t want some of my employees to be left behind but rather, I want them to know that we are a family, we help each other, and we are one. So let’s get the show on the road and do some acid tests with the applicants.

by Gracelyn


VOCABULARY WORDS
distinct /dɪˈstɪŋkt/ - adjective - clearly separate and different

associated /əˈsoʊ.si.eɪ.t̬ɪd/ - adjective - connected

setback /ˈsetˌbæk/ - noun - something that causes delay or stops progress

ardent /ˈɑr·dənt/ - adjective - showing strong feelingseager

venture /ˈven·tʃər/ - verb - to risk going somewhere or doing something that might be dangerous or unpleasant, often in business

ideal /ɑɪˈdil--ˈdi·əl/ - adjective - perfect, or the best possible

capital /ˈkæp·ɪ·t̬əl/ - noun - wealth, especially money used to produce more wealth through investment or a new business

further /ˈfɜr·ðər/ - adjective/adverb - more, extra, or additionalcomparative of far 

perseverance /ˌpɝː.səˈvɪr.əns/ - noun - continued effort and determination

arduous /ˈɑr·dʒu·əs/ - adjective - difficult and tiring, or needing a great deal of effort


IDIOMS IN THE STORY
acid testthe proof of the value of something, or the standard that something must meet in order to prove its value

cut the ground from under Sbs feet - to make someone or someone's ideas seem less good, especially by doing something before them or better than them

be chasing one’s tail - to be busy doing a lot of things but achieving very little

a whole bag of tricks - set of clever skills, techniques, items of information, or other resources used to help achieve professional or personal goals

deliver the goods - provide what is promised or expected

fine-tooth comb - examine it in great detail and with great care

explore all avenues - Try out every possibility to get a result

fast track Sth - a very quick way of achieving something or dealing with something 

to get one’s ducks in a row - Get one’s things well organized

get the show on the road - put up a plan or idea into action

keep your fingers on the pulse - Be constantly aware of the most recent developments

mean business - to be serious about taking action and what you announce

think on one’s feet - react to events decisively, effectively, and without prior thought or planning

sail through Sth -  to succeed very easily in something especially in difficulty

tricks of the trade - Clever methods or expert way of doing a better or faster job

COMPREHENSION
1. If you are a manager, what is your ideal employee?
2. If you are an employee or a student, what are the set of characteristics that makes you become a better person in your field? And what are some characteristics that you don't wish to have?
3. Do you dream of starting a business one day? What kind and where?
4. What type of people do you wish to employ in your business?
5. What kind of boss will you be?

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento